Author Topic: Making Sense of Ganymede  (Read 24918 times)

Batterytrain

• View Profile
Re: Making Sense of Ganymede
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2014, 03:34:37 PM »
I was surprised by the ban as well, I have seen people get away with more head inducing stupidity on there without a word from a supposed "scientific" forum. Anyway I think it was because the post was in a thread about another new theory disproving out of Africa, and perhaps that post you made kinda strayed too far out and was too detached from whatever petty arguments the people were having between themselves there. Hence the violent kneejerk reaction there.

icebear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2014, 04:17:00 PM »
I was surprised by the ban as well, I have seen people get away with more head inducing stupidity on there without a word from a supposed "scientific" forum. Anyway I think it was because the post was in a thread about another new theory disproving out of Africa, and perhaps that post you made kinda strayed too far out and was too detached from whatever petty arguments the people were having between themselves there. Hence the violent kneejerk reaction there.

The thing I posted was totally straight-up, probably the first NON-ignorant post on the subject in the forum's history.  They're suffering from delusions of competence or something like that.

Batterytrain

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2014, 01:59:07 AM »
Have you guys heard of a man named Michael tellinger? He has a theory about the usual Annunaki editing human genomes, except that he has photo evidence in the form of giant foot prints and historical archaeological sites in Africa, do you think humans were hauled off Ganymede and then put on Earth to work for gold & resource mining? Or they were somehow genetically engineered or spliced with Earth species somehow?

icebear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2014, 06:05:43 AM »
Have you guys heard of a man named Michael tellinger? He has a theory about the usual Annunaki editing human genomes, except that he has photo evidence in the form of giant foot prints and historical archaeological sites in Africa, do you think humans were hauled off Ganymede and then put on Earth to work for gold & resource mining? Or they were somehow genetically engineered or spliced with Earth species somehow?

I keep looking on Ebay for time machines at a reasonable price so I could give anybody a 100% precise answer to that sort of question.....

Troy and I generally rule out an interstellar origin for humans within our system due to the distances involved. 

My general take on physical interstellar travel is this:  that it probably never happens for any reason other than escape, i.e. somebody's solar system is about to blow up and they boogie outwards, that's probably about it.

Three is no possibility of anybody travelling to another star in search of gold or anything physical.  There is simply nothing you could bring back from a trip to another star which would justify the cost;  whatever it is, it would be vastly simpler and cheaper to manufacture it. 

The ONLY thing anybody could bring back from another star which might justify the expense would be information:  somebody on Proxima Centauri knows how to make a better toilet than we do or a better motorcycle.....  And, if information is your goal, there might, in theory at least, be a better way of coming up with it than physically going out there, i.e. read the appendex dealing with antediluvian communications in Cosmos in Collision....

Pituxalina

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2014, 12:04:00 AM »
Here is a link to a good map of Ganymede; it's frozen oceans are in blue as well!

http://pubs.usgs.gov/sim/3237/

icebear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2014, 07:06:49 PM »
From the look of Ganymede's continents, theywould be made of pumice rather than hard rock. Pumice cannot support the mountains that Earth or Mars would have.
I did notice that Ganymede is scarred by craters and gouges--both on its frozen oceans and continents.  It must have suffered electrical erosion after that world froze solid.

Do you think if we land there that we might find frozen animals, vegetation and even people there or at least the fossils?

I'd be shocked were that not to turn out to be the case.  That is, remains of the former habitation, nothing could live there now.  And there may be an interesting difference between Ganymede and Mars.

The stuff they find on Mars has potential military application so that NASA and ESA might think they're justified in keeping the lid on it.  In the case of Ganymede, I don't see that.  What you're talking about with Ganymede is exploring our own origins so that there doesn't seem to be the excuse for secrecy.

Pituxalina

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2014, 12:03:45 AM »
Here is someone's vision of a Terraformed Ganymede; I wonder if this is what Ganymede looked like when Jupiter was a brown dwarf...

http://epsiloneagle.deviantart.com/art/Terraformed-Ganymede-Texture-176456388

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/234/d/e/Terraformed_Ganymede_Texture_by_EpsilonEagle.png

Pituxalina

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2014, 12:22:27 AM »
Here is terraformed Callisto (or how it might have been in Ancient times).

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/233/e/6/Terraformed_Callisto_Texture_by_EpsilonEagle.png

Here is terraformed Europa; I think it might be a lot more watery than this interpretation. http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/233/f/9/Terraformed_Europa_Texture_by_EpsilonEagle.png

This is Io terraformed: http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/120/b/6/io_terraformed_by_1wyrmshadow1-d2rbq3a.png

I think it would be a largely desert moon, but minus the "volcanoes" that are on it now.

icebear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2014, 03:30:44 AM »
From the look of Ganymede's continents, theywould be made of pumice rather than hard rock. Pumice cannot support the mountains that Earth or Mars would have.
I did notice that Ganymede is scarred by craters and gouges--both on its frozen oceans and continents.  It must have suffered electrical erosion after that world froze solid.
Do you think if we land there that we might find frozen animals, vegetation and even people there or at least the fossils?

I'd expect overwhelming evidence of past civilization on Ganymede.  I don't believe that humans lived on Mars for any huge span of time.  Have you gone through my little thing about the how and why of Phobos?

Pituxalina

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2016, 10:49:41 PM »
I wonder if it's safe to venture on Ganymede or whether the radiation from Jupiter would prevent us from landing a manned expedition there?